Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Potty Training... It's Official

Warning... this is a total mommy post, not that the others aren't, but this is all about pee in the potty!

We finally took the potty training leap this past week. I've known Lucas was ready, but to be honest I wasn't. Our goal was to have him out of diapers before his baby brother is born. With that being only about two months away I knew it was now or never. I read a handful of articles/advice online to help me prepare. I really liked this article here about going for it full force, and putting all of your attention on your child and potty training.


First things first.... treats! Treats for Lucas and for mommy. I found both to be equally important! Yes, I too read some articles that said don't use treats, children need to learn to use the potty without extra incentive, yada, yada, yada. To some extent I agree, but at the same time, if offering a lollipop will get him on the potty to start then it's worth it. And for us it so was! We only used treats for the first 3 days, and he didn't even ask for them much the third day. Besides treats, positive reinforcement and acting like peeing on the potty is the best, most exciting thing to happen since sliced bread helps so much. We even have a pee pee dance and song we sing from time to time, and he loves it. Lucas also had the option to call a family member or friend to tell his exciting news when he used the potty. He loved calling grandparents and aunts and uncles to tell them he went pee pee on the potty. He was thrilled to share the news!


I know this is blurry, but his little bum in his big boy chonies is just too much! No more diapers means my little boy is growing up so fast. I'm not really ready for this, but I don't think I ever will be! Mommy sadness aside, the first two days of this adventure were exciting, exhausting, and very emotional, more for me than him I think. I was prepared for accidents to happen, I knew that was inevitable. I wasn't prepared for the ups and downs of thinking, "Yes, he's got this!" to three accidents in a row, and feeling defeated. Seriously... maybe it's the hormones from this pregnancy rushing through me, but I had no idea that potty training could be this emotionally draining. Luckily my amazing mom was cheering both of us on, along with my great girlfriends! (Thank you Jamers and Michelle!)


Again with that bum! How stinkin' cute is he?! Like I said, the first few days were rough, but day four rolled around and things have been going great ever since! No more pee accidents, but still a poop accident here or there. I know accidents will continue to happen, but I am so proud of my little guy. He is doing amazing, and we are officially diaper free! (For the next two months at least!) :) He wears pull ups for nap and bed, but has been waking up from his nap dry everyday since day three.


I know he will so hate me for this photo one day, but I had to post his proud face on the potty! Way to go Bug! I'm so proud of you!

xoxo, Kara

2 comments:

  1. Good work mama! I'm not looking forward to doing this with Quinn so thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete