Sunday, May 13, 2012

First Haircut

We did it... we took Lucas to get his first haircut. Something I have been dreading and not wanting to do. I loved his little curls, his wild hair, his baby look that comes with having that crazy baby hair. I didn't see the need to cut it. Matt has been saying off and on for the past couple weeks that we needed to cut his hair. I quickly shut down the idea constantly. I wasn't ready. I mean, why would I want to cut this adorably crazy hair...?


or these sweet "wings" as we started to call them?


I don't know why I decided it was time, but I did, and we went for it. We took him to this children's place that I've heard great things about. They did a good job and were very patient. The only complaint I have is that they wouldn't let him sit in the car he wanted because it was for "big boys" and didn't have a seatbelt. We've been really encouraging Lucas lately and telling him he is a big boy (getting him ready for big boy stuff like no more paci and eventually potty training). So when this lady said it's for big boys not babies I was fuming inside, but decided to pick my battles. I asked Lucas if he wanted to sit in my lap. He smiled and said, "I sit in mama's lap," which melted my heart and off we went. 

This haircut was anything but pleasant. I fought back tears with each snip. Lucas was crying and wanted nothing to do it. After the first crocodile tears rolled down his cheeks I looked at Matt in hopes that he maybe had the same idea I had, "Let's get out of here and not go through with this madness!" No such luck, he was taking pictures and telling Lucas how nice it will look and that it will be okay. This pretty much sums up our whole experience...


Don't let the look on my face fool you... I was trying to be strong for my bug. I wanted to cry with him. 


He was happy to share his lollipop with me. This distracted him for a whole five seconds. 


Sad faces the whole time. 


Trying to enjoy his lollipop, but it was hard with this lady messing with his hair. When it was all said and done we were both relieved to get out of there. His hair looks adorable, of course. It makes him look a little older... not so much a baby anymore. I spent the rest of the day just starring at him and reminding myself this is just the first of many haircuts, and that I can't keep him my little baby forever. 


Who am I kidding really? I'll always think of him as my baby. Who would have thought a haircut could stir up so much emotion?!? I have a feeling I'll be that mom that cries at EVERY milestone... no matter how big or small it may be. 

xoxo, Kara




2 comments:

  1. Kara I love this because I know EXACTLY how you feel!! Haha everyone keeps telling me it's time to cut Emmett's hair but I can't bring myself to do it! Just the thought makes me want to cry :( Lol. Now that it's all said and done are you glad you got it cut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how everyone has an opinion about your baby's hair! I am glad we did it. It looks so cute, and it was time, but I do miss his little curls. I'm hoping they will grow back! :)

    ReplyDelete