It's hard as a first time mom not to get caught up in what your baby "should" be doing. I stopped religiously reading all of the first years books, because I was tired of wondering if he was behind. Don't get me wrong, I still skimmed them from time to time (and badgered his pediatrician with questions every chance I got), but I stopped letting it get to me that Lucas wasn't doing what "most" babies did at certain ages. I also stopped listening to those people with comments like, "Ohhh, he still doesn't sleep through the night?" or "You hold him too much, put him down more and he'll start crawling." I for one strongly believe A. you can never hold a baby too much, and B. follow your mommy instinct. No one knows your baby they way you do, so if you feel something is wrong, ask your doctor, if you feel everything is fine, be happy and enjoy your baby. Oh, and read the fine print that is in every baby book... something along the lines of..."Every child is different, and develops and at his/her own pace." I think that should have a whole chapter unto itself. :)
Here are some pictures from our morning play time outside. Notice the big smile... double ear infection what?!? The weather was perfect, and I enjoyed every minute watching my little guy play.
Look at me! I'm standing!
He loves this rock right now.
He pushes the boats over...
...and then gives me this look.
"Um mom, can you get those for me?"
(Is that not the cutest face ever?!)
Happy Wednesday!
xoxo
Thank you so much for your honesty in this post. I really needed to read it. I have a couple of friends who had babies within a week of when I had my daughter, and it seems like their babies hitting milestones way before her. Being a first time mom myself, I have too often gotten caught up in the comparison game which leads to useless worry and guilt. Thank you for inspiring me to be better and to just be grateful for the sweet baby girl that I have and all of her abilities.
ReplyDelete